With Thanksgiving last week there are a lot of good smells that have been coming out of the kitchen. Most of the time we prefer the rest of the house, since it's softer and all our beds and toys are. But we realized that there are a lot of really great things about the kitchen, so we figured that we would do our Thursday Thirteen about our Kitchen.
1. Our Stinky Goodness is kept in the cabinet over the stove (uh oh, looks like we might be running low)
2. Mommy keeps a nice full dish of crunchies right next to the water bowl
3. Our Stinky Goodness bowls are in the kitchen, right next to the crunchies
4. The "Great White Feeding Parent" is there (that's what we call the refrigerator - Jake loves the it more than Mommy some times, he knows that all sorts of good stuff comes out of there)
5. There's a comfy little carpet to sit on and watch Mommy cook
6. If we watch really carefully we see Mommy drop stuff we can sneak in and steal it off the floor (sometimes she drops stuff on purpose too!)
7. Jake likes the butter, if Mommy and Daddy aren't careful to keep it covered he jumps up on the counters in the middle of the night and licks it!
8. Our treat jar is right there on the counter
9. Speaking of treats - Mommy keeps a huge Tupperware container of special home-grown cat nip in the back of the refrigerator! Jake knows it's there and sometimes tries to crawl in!
10. Cheese, the cheese is kept in the kitchen - and we love cheese!
11. We have our "Bad Cat of the Day" Calendar
12. The door to the basement is in the kitchen, and that's the way to our litter boxes
13. It's always warm in the evening after Mommy cooks dinner
We've been thinking and thinking about Miss Peach's Box of Life Meme, and we've finally come up with our answers. Also, we're allowing George and Mommy and Daddy to join in - yep, it's that important that we thought we should share.
Now there are some things that we all would put in like: Mommy and Daddy, our safe house, our puffy beds and the like, so we decided to list the things that are special to us individually.
The nice lady that runs the shelter that got me to my Forever home.
My distinctive voice that I use to tell every one what I want.
Playing "Love and Chasing Mouses" with Mommy - where I chase the fuzzy mouse then bring it back to get a cuddle.
My puffy furs that keep me warm when it's cold outside.
All my fuzzy mice that I eat the tails off and play with.
The down blanket on the back of the sofa that I love to sleep on.
The same nice lady that Pearl mentioned, I came from the same shelter.
The white tip on the end of my tail, Mommy always kisses it.
The Sun Room floor where I sit and watch the birdies for hours.
My fuzzy string toy that I love to chase and do flips for.
My Sisters George and Pearl - I love to play with them.
My strong will to live, for finding my Mommy the day I got separated from my kitty family.
The wonderful people who make stinky goodness.
My big puffy "pants" - when I'm lying on my back both Mommy and Daddy love to grab them and say how cute I am.
Wrestling with Daddy on the big bed - we do it every morning.
Fresh laundry and making the bed, ever since I was little those have been two of my favorite games.
My big sister and brother, Purdy and Basil - the kittens never knew them, but they raised me to be a very good "head of the house" ManCat.
My toy basket, it has every toy a pup could ever want.
My "Buster Cube", Mommy fills it with treats to keep me busy when they go out
Our fenced in back yard - not many doggies are lucky enough to have their own part of the yard.
All the kitties, the new ones and the old ones - they're always so much fun.
Mommy and Daddy:
All the wonderful people in the world that that take care of lost and injured animals everywhere.
The different vets that have taken such good care of all our animal companions over the years.
Our sweet angel kitties that have gone over the bridge.
Our wonderful home filled with fur, meowing, barking, running and playing - it's the best place on earth to be.
- Pearl, Bert, Jake, George, Mommy and Daddy
We'd all like to send a special thank you to Miss Peach, this was a special Meme from a special little kitty, thank you.
Check me out! Here I am, mid-flight. I'm on my way to my favorite sleeping spot - the basket at the top of Mommy's craft cabinet.
I have to jump from the floor to the kitty hammock, then from there to the top of the cabinet. Though sometimes I climb our kitty tree to get to the hammock, and sometimes I'll use the chair that Mommy leaves there for me - it just depends on how I feel that day!
I finally let my Mommy get a picture of me raising a paw! I've been doing it all month, but she's just not fast enough with her flashy box (hehheh). So here I am raising my paw for "Raise a Paw 2007"!
There are so many good kitty causes, but all I really care about is making sure that every kitty has a home. So I guess I'd like to see money donated to national or local no-kill shelters (like the nice place I came from).
P.S. Hey wait - I know this is ManCat Monday, but I can raise all four paws at once! Maybe this doesn't count, 'cause I was just chasing my fuzzy mouse, but I think four paws are way better than one!
Now we try not to be too picky when it comes to the stinky goodness, but we don't love beef flavor and we don't love the gravy kinds. So sometimes we turn our noses up at a new flavor and Mommy puts the extra cans in the pantry. We were never sure what she planned to do with them since we wouldn't eat them.
Then we told her about the fundraising that Artsy Cat was doing, and she remembered that she needed to donate all that good stuff to the shelter. So on Wednesday she took all of the stinky goodness from the pantry along with a bunch of food she picked-up at the market to the Blue Water Area Humane Society for all the homeless kitties - so that they would have a nice Thanksgiving.
While she was there she talked to a nice lady about volunteering, so now she's going to help them find homes for all those homeless kitties and woofies. We know that she'd give money if she could, but giving her time is pretty great - we're proud of her.
Well, just as long as she doesn't bring one of those kitties or woofies home.
I figured out what to get for my Mommy as a welcome home present! I went under the house and got as dirty as possible then tracked "Dirty Bertie" paw prints all over the sofa - I just know she's gonna love it!!!
We had a good enough time with Daddy, but we really do need our Mommy. At first everything was fine, but by the third night we were all up on the bed trying to get a cuddle with Dad. Usually there's not enough room for all three of us, but with Mommy gone, we all got up there.
Mommy brought us treats from a special fancy pet store since Daddy said we were such good kitties. But he was pretty good too! Daddy let us out when we asked, and he gave us lots of treats for coming in when he called, and he let us sleep on him at night (usually we only sleep on Mommy).
The best part is that she spent all day with us today! She was supposed to go to work, but she took a red-eye home and said she was too tired to go in. We spent the whole day laying in the bed with her, helping her with the laundry and keeping as close to her as we could.
I missed my Mommy so much that I went out and got her a present! I put a big, fat mourning dove on the porch for her, but Daddy said he wasn't sure she'd appreciate it and took it away. Now I don't have anything to give her as a welcome home present!
Wow, we're super excited to be tagged for this meme - thanks Mickey! But given that it's Tuxie/Tortie Tuesday around here, we'll hog the lime light and make it just about us!
1. I have a very tender tummy and yell at you if you pick me up the wrong way. - Bert
2. When I was adopted from the shelter I had conjunctivitis and two types of parasites - I was on medication for more than two months after Mom and Dad took me home. - Pearl
3. I have a little white tip on the end of my tail, so sometimes Mom calls me "Tipperary" and Dad calls me "Tippy". You can almost see it in the snow picture. - Bert 4. I will eat almost anything, Mom calls me a "Garbage Gut". Yesterday I stole some of the the frosting off her cupcake! - Pearl
5. Mom calls me "Mr. Manners" because I sit and wait quietly for treats or meals, while Pearl and Jake run around and holler. - Bert
6. We have a special ball that rolls it's self around the house, I think it's neat, but Bert and Jake are scared of it. - Pearl
7. I weigh more than Pearl and Bert combined, so I'm stealing this one! - Jake
We're still new to this, and some of our friends were already tagged - so how about Tybalt, Parker, Kimo & Sabi, Chase, Latte, Kaze and Henry Helton. If you'd like to join, consider yourself tagged!
We're really mad at our Mom! She said she was too busy this weekend to help us get online, so we missed the party and the vigil for our friends - we didn't even get to go visit anyone else! She said something about scrapbooking, but she didn't even have the nerve to do any pages of us!
So here we are - giving her our best annoyed ManCat looks!
And to make matters worse, she's leaving us on Wednesday! She's gonna go home to California and see her family. The good news is that Dad will be staying home with us and that means extra treats, extra of room in the big bed, more play time and sometimes second breakfast (he always spoils us when Mom goes away)!
She said she'd try to get Dad to help us with the internet, but Dad's not so savvy about these things!
Here we are - on the last warm days of fall catching some rays!
It's started to get very cold here, it's been in the 30s at night. We're not sure exactly what that means to Mom and Dad, but we do know it means that we can go out at night. The rule is once it dips down below 40 - no kitties outside. If we're lucky we get to go out for a few hours after dinner, before it gets too cold.
Bert always wants to come in when he gets cold, but he has short hairs, so he gets colder faster. But I don't see why Jake and I can't stay out - we have big puffy furs to keep us warm (and they get even bigger and puffier in Winter). I sit in the hall and yell, trying to make my point, but Mom just says "no way Pearly-Mae". She always says that she doesn't want my wee tortie-toes to freeze.
I'll take what I can get for now - because once the snow is on the ground I don't like to go out till Spring!
UPDATE: I just wanted to let you know that when my Dad got home today I yelled at him to let me out, and he did! So I scampered out, happy as can be until I noticed that there was SNOW on the ground. I ran back in as quickly as my wee tortie paws would take me - and Daddy laughed and laughed (he even called Mom at work so she could have a laugh too).
Dad says I'm a Maine Coon kitty. Now I did tumble out from under a shrub, so no one really knows what I am. But I do seem to have all the key Maine Coon things - I have tufty ears and paws, a broad head and large eyes, a lovely long coat with a ruff around my neck and a strong (very manly) chin.
Mom says she thinks my daddy might have been an otter, 'cause I have huge, webbed paws and I like to roll onto my back with my feather toy and hold the toy on my tummy just like otters do. So Mom and Dad like call me otter paws!
I don't think that she'd actually swing one of us, but that's what Mom said this morning!
She was going to take a shower and turned the tap on for Bert and Jake (like she always does) so they could drink fresh water while she was in the shower. Usually Bert goes in first and stays a bit, then later Jake comes in for a drink - but this morning Jake went in first and Bert had to wait in line. So while Mom was getting ready, Jake drank and Bert waited patiently on the mat. Mom said it was pretty darn crowded with the two boys, but that Bert was being very good to wait.
Then I decided to see what all the excitement was in the Bathroom (it's not usually all that interesting to me). So when I walked in I gave Bert a little rub, but then I saw Jake's tail just hanging there - so I swatted it! Then Jake got mad and jumped down on me, Bert tried to hop up on the very small counter (thinking it was his turn), and I ran behind Mom.
That's when she yelled at us and said "There's not enough room for all of you - this bathroom isn't even big enough to swing a cat in!".
We're still a bit worried that she'll swing us if she finds a room big enough!
1. We don't like people coming into our house - it makes us want to run under the bed. 2. We don't like thinking that people are coming into our house and then not coming in - it makes us run under the bed for no reason and then we get very tired. 3. We don't like people, but we really don't like little goblins that yell. 4. George barks every time someone comes to the door -it makes us think we need to run under the bed. 5. George goes into a tuck-butt run any time the doorbell rings and that's very scary. 6. We're not allowed to go out at all - not in the day time or the night time (even after all the little candy-grabbing goblins have gone).
7. There are no Catnip candies in the bowl for us.
8. Mom gets up and down all night, so we can't settle in for a cuddle.
9. Mom puts candles all around the house and yells at us for sniffing them to see what they are.
10. There are all sorts of scary noises coming from the street, cars and little goblins - scary.
11. Dad always tries to put one of us in a carved pumpkin - and that's not right!
12. Mom and Dad sometimes forget about our dinner since they are worried about when the the goblins will come to the door.
13. Did we mention not being able to go out?!
We're glad it only comes once a year, but we'd just as soon skip it next year!